Who We Are
The Abingdon Damascus Youth Project (a voluntary and registered charity) prides itself on enabling young people to make a positive difference within their own communities. Our team is made up of enthusiastic, qualified youth workers who have a passion for seeing change in young people’s lives.
Roxy has more than 10 years experience working with young people. She loves engaging with them on their turf and wants to spends as much time out the office and on the streets as possible.
James is the newest member of our team, currently undertaking a BA in Youth and Community Work, he has been working with young people for 7 years and loves chatting about the deep stuff to challenge behaviour and choices.
Jake has also nearly finished his BA in Youth and Community Work. He says, ‘I work with young people because I was once in a similar situation. A youth worker helped me to create better chances for myself and I want to help those in need now. Challenging opinions on issues such as drugs and alcohol is something I find worthwhile. No two days or conversations are the same.’
Where We Work
We have been embedded in the rural villages of Drayton, Appleford, Milton, Sutton Courtenay and Steventon for almost 20 years and recently changed our constitution so work throughout the South and Vale in Oxfordshire. Clock on the Damascus link in the menu bar to find out more about the villages we work in!
What We Do
Rooted within these contiguous communities the trustees employ and manage qualified and very able and credible youth workers who are dedicated to make change happen by facilitating and supporting young people within their own community and family environment so that young people become positive contributors on their own doorsteps and also bridge the gap between home and school.
So if you…
- are worried about a young person
- want help setting up a community project
- want an issue based workshop in your school
- need help with your CV
- need a friendly ear
- Want to get involved in youth work
- Want to come to one of our many sessions
- need some one to one support
… then don’t hesitate to get in touch!
Young People drive positive change to transform their communities.
We empower young people through positive engagement that promotes a shared sense of belonging in the community; a commonality of purpose and real ability to effect change, so that they make a difference in their personal lives and in the communities in which they live.
We work with young people to:
- enthuse them to be more involved as they too are stakeholders in their community;
- bridge the inter-generational gap;
- encourage team work and remove the fear of failure or intimidation;
- build self-efficacy to access education, employment and training;
- empower them to say no to negative peer pressure and make healthy choices;
- enable and train young community leaders and build their communities volunteering capacity.
Meet the Team
- Roxy Elford
- James Quartermain
- Jake Fleetwood
- Mrs. Pat Napper – Chair
- Mrs. Anne Whitehead – Secretary
- Mr. Hans Sundin – Treasurer
- Dr. Rita Atkinson MBE – Line Manager
- Dr. Mark Whittaker
- Mrs. Audrey Holloway
- Mr. Simon Muray